One of the prime reasons for dry and chapped lips is lack of moisture. Summer makes them sunburned whereas winter makes them wind chilled. To top it all, our unhealthy habit of sipping on sugary beverages instead of water makes us dehydrated – this again depletes moisture in our skin.
Usually, as a habit, many of us lick our lips when they feel dry. Although this action occurs unconsciously, in reality, as the saliva evaporates it aggravates the dryness.
While stocking up on lip balm of different brands and flavours might seem as the easy way out, mostly it doesn’t work and it isn’t cost efficient either.
Some of the most common reasons of dry chapped lips are:
- Excessive smoking
- Exposure to strong wind
- Harsh soaps or skin care products
- Allergic reaction to certain foods or cosmetics
- Vitamin A, B and C deficiency
Cracked, dry and chapped lips can be managed easily with the help of a few measures that you can accomplish easily. This will prevent the situation from escalating.
- Hydrate: We at DentoXpert cannot stress on this one enough! Drink plenty of water. Do not substitute it with any liquid beverage like a soda or tea/coffee, juice etc. Water will hydrate the skin and keep lips moistened.
- Use Sunscreen: During peak hours, always wear sunscreen. We might apply sunscreen on our faces but sometimes forget our lips since we have to use lipstick. Also, irrespective of the season, use sunscreen which has an SPF above 50.
- Lip Balm: When used in moderation, a good quality lip balm can be beneficial as it nourishes and protects the lips. Also, try to choose a lip balm that contains sunscreen.
- Licking Lips: Avoid licking your lips too often because that can make things worse.
- Use good quality products: Make sure you use products which have good quality, especially on your skin and avoid the ones which have strong chemicals. Plus, don’t forget to check the expiry date ever-so-often!
There are several easy and quick ways to treat dry and chapped lips. Here are few effective home remedies for quick results.
- Coconut oil is great for dry lips – it soothes the dryness and provides moisture, especially, during the winter season.
- Aloe Vera gel is another highly beneficial product that can treat dry lips.
- Clarified butter or ghee can also be applied onto dry lips.
- If your dryness is severe, use this easy remedy to experience relief – soak a few rose petals in fresh milk for about 2-3 hours and grind this mixture to form a paste. Apply the paste so as to derive relief from dryness.
Quick read: Here is an article on top 6 tips for great lips. It’s worth reading! (LINK: Top 6 tips for great lips)
There might be few cases where dry lips are an after effect of a particular ailment like mouth sores or dental issues. If that is the case, the best advice would be to visit your dentist.
The post Are your lips dry and chapping? Here’s why this occurs and how to prevent it? appeared first on DentoXpert Blog.