What you need to know about Lip Augmentation
What is it?
Lip augmentation is an infamous cosmetic procedure that aims at giving you fuller lips. These days, the most commonly used method for this procedure is an injectable dermal filler. And there are several types of these dermal fillers that can be injected into your lips and around your mouth.
However, the most frequently used fillers used today are injections that contain substances similar to Hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is a substance that is naturally found in the human body. It aims at making your lips plumper and meatier. The fillers that contain this acid are commonly referred to as Hyaluronic acid fillers.
Hyaluronic acid fillers have over the past years replaced collagen which was once the most popular dermal filler. This replacement works well because they are much safer and durable than collagen.
Why Hyaluronic acid Fillers?
Hyaluronic acid fillers are excellent lip augmentation tools because they provide the perfect shape, volume, and structure to the lips.
Here are some of the benefits of Hyaluronic acid fillers:
- After being injected, the gel in the filler efficiently supports and shapes the cells and tissues of the lips
- Lip volume control is a huge benefit with this filler as the amount can be modulated
- Multiple appointments at a gradual pace for the procedure is a valuable option
- Easily dissolvable bumps caused by lip movements
- Minimal bruising as compared to other fillers
- The results are reasonably long-lasting hence cost-effective
- Lower risk of allergic reaction as the Hyaluronic acid is a substance found in the body
Details on the procedure
- Injectable lip augmentation techniques are fairly easy procedures that can be performed quickly at your doctor's office. The exception being as these injections require retrieval of fat from the body, then a minor liposuction procedure to remove fat from a part of your body has to be first carried out.
- A local numbing agent may be applied before the injections are inserted into the lips to ease discomfort. To completely numb the lips, nerve block injections which are similar to those used by dentists can be given before the procedure.
- The doctor will then meticulously mark the areas to be injected and use very fine needles to inject the fillers into your lips.
- Ice packs can help deal with pain, discomfort and swelling after the procedure is completed. No firm pressure allowed.
- It is advisable to avoid lipsticks, lip balms or other lip products after the treatment.
- The difference is instantly noticeable and more so after it has healed to a point where the plump lips feel all natural.
Side effects of Hyaluronic acid fillers are unlikely but even if you do face them, they are only temporary. They are as follows:
- Bleeding from the injection pricks
- Bruising and swelling
- Tenderness and redness around the injected area
It is also important to be mindful of some of the serious side effects such as:
- Severe swelling or prolonged bruising (10 days or more)
- Asymmetrical lips with lumps
- Tissue loss due to rupture of blood vessels
- Allergic reaction in the form of swelling or itching
Lip augmentation is a classic case of personal preference. With the right surgeon, your lips can look exactly the way you want them to!
Last updated on 07 February, 2018.